The key objectives of RUSA are to improve access, equity and quality in higher education through planned development of higher education at the state level. Objectives include creating new academic institutions, expanding and upgrading the existing ones, developing institutions that are self-reliant in terms of quality education, professionally managed, and characterized by greater inclination towards research and provide students with education that is relevant to them as well the nation as a whole.
The salient objectives of RUSA are:
- Improve the overall quality of state institutions.
- Ensure reforms in the affiliation, academic and examination systems
- To promote research and innovation
- Ensure adequate availability of quality faculty
- Improve equity in higher education
- To achieve higher enrolment in existing institutions